Know what you're eating

7 toxic materials that you should never use

7 toxic materials that you should never use

Leading a healthy lifestyle means becoming serious about several aspects of daily life. The most common thing people do is exercise regularly and watch what they eat.

There is no doubting that this is really important, but you also have to take care of other important aspects, such as the way you cook and the utensils you use in the kitchen.

It is also important to focus on what materials you use to package food when carrying it outside the home or when storing it in the fridge. Not all materials are safe and some can even be very hazardous.

To raise awareness about this issue, we have prepared this post in which we talk about the 7 kitchen utensils that should not be used in your home, the7 most toxic kitchen utensils that you may not be aware of.

Plastic utensils

Nowadays, almost everything is made entirely or partly out of plastic and kitchen utensils are no exception. We live in an age of plastic. Even children's toys are made out of this material.

Science has shown that some plastics are responsible for releasing substances that are toxic to our bodies, especially when they are subjected to sharp changes in temperature. That is why it is so important to make sure that the plastic used in your Tupperware, for example, is microwave safe. In addition, some of the components in some plastics are passed directly through to our food through heat and contact with food. Special care must betaken with cling film because this is the most unstable plastic of all.

Therefore, we recommend that you find out as much as possible about the products you are going to buy and check the ones you have already bought.

The only plastic recommended by the WHO is polypropylene.

Aluminium utensils

Aluminium conducts heat very well and is quite light, which is why you can still find many utensils made entirely of aluminium, such as pans, moulds and pots. The trouble is that according to many studies, there is a relationship between high levels of aluminium in the body and Alzheimer's.

Some countries have banned the use of this material, including France, Germany and the United Kingdom. However, it should also be noted that aluminium for food use does not present a risk if the container or utensil is completely sealed or covered with a safe or harmless material.

As with plastic, this metal is transmitted directly to the food when subjected to heat. The same is true when the food is acidic.

Copper utensils

This is one of the classic materials used in kitchens as it is an excellent heat conductor. The problem with it becomes evident when we add acidic food at room temperature. It should also be taken into account that it rusts over time and this in itself is a toxicity hazard.

The copper particles we absorb are very difficult to eliminate. So this is another material that it is better to do without.

Enamel and coated utensils

Commonly used in recent years for their decorative nature, enamel and coated utensils are usually made of highly toxic heavy metals, such as lead.

When we cook in our kitchens each day, these utensils become scratched and dented and this allows for the release of resins, metals and varnishes that end up in our food.

Iron utensils

One of the most common materials in the home is iron, although its weight and tendency to rust means that these utensils are quite difficult to handle and certainly toxic.

Another drawback is that it does not conduct heat well. It is, therefore, an enemy of environmental sustainability as it requires more energy.

Low quality stainless steel utensils

Stainless steel is one of the most popular materials and is used in most of our kitchen utensils. The reason for this? Obviously, the fact that it does not rust. However, there are many types of stainless steel and we need to pay special attention to avoiding the most hazardous ones.

All utensils that do not have an identification mark can be part of the AISI 400 series, that is, they are ferritic and of poor quality for use in contact with food.

Nickel-free steels are less dangerous, especially for allergy sufferers. The best possible option is surgical stainless steel with titanium 316Ti. This material is 100% safe and biocompatible. It is quite expensive but guarantees maximum safety, even for nickel allergy sufferers.

Teflon utensils

Teflon is a non-stick substance that almost everyone will be familiar with. What most people don’t know is that it contains a substance called APFO which is almost indestructible and builds up, causing problems for people, animals and the environmental.

Fortunately, there arenow alternatives to this material, more resistant to heat, that keep the surface of the utensil completely sealed.

If you have Teflon utensils, you must be careful not to subject them to very high temperatures and to stop using them as soon as the surface becomes damaged, so when it has scratches, dents or worn areas.

May interest you